Sunday, July 5, 2009

Growing Power



A great, 4-page story in today's NYTimes magazine, about a mythical figure, street farmer Will Allen, a guy with so much good thinking, common sense and simplicity, it's a real pleasure every time I find something about him. I hope to meet him one day...
"In 1993, Allen, looking to grow indoors during the winter and to sell food closer to the city, bought the Growing Power property, a derelict plant nursery that was in foreclosure. He had no master plan. “I told the city I’d hire kids and teach them about food systems,” he said. Before long, community and school groups were asking for his help starting gardens. He rarely said no. But after years of laboring on his own and beginning to feel burned out, he agreed to partner with Heifer International, the sustainable-agriculture charity. “They were looking for youth to do urban ag. When they learned I had kids and that I had land, their eyes lit up.” Heifer taught Allen fish and worms, and together they expanded their training programs."

No comments:

Post a Comment