Monday, June 15, 2009

A bountiful harvest

Mango season is here. I always thought that letting those mangoes rot on the ground is a sin. Of course you can enjoy as many as you want fresh and ripe, they are so much better than the store bought ones. But in addition to that, this is a good time to preserve some for later. All you really need is some bulk sugar, a few lemons, recycled jars and a kitchen and some time. Don't let all this fruit go to waste! If you're like me, you have a mental map of where mango trees that are accessible are located. Every time I take a walk, drive my car or ride my bicycle, I keep adding to my map!
If you can't use all the mango preserves you can make, remember, they make great gifts, and also, there's a lot of folks in need in our community. Good hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment